Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Silenced Dialogue: Quotes

  




"Other People's Children"

This was definitely not an easy read but what I think Lisa Delpit's main argument in this reading was about the education of colored children, and how white people control the idea of it. Also kind of going along with the other readings from last week, how white people become sort of oblivious to the power of control they think they have. For me, reading this article connected back to last week’s reading by McIntosh about "white privilege" and gave more reasons on how it is ignored by society.

"I'm tired of arguing with those white people, because they won't listen. Well, I don't know if they really don't listen or if they just don't believe you" (1)

"When you're talking to white people they will want it to be their way. You can try to talk to them and give them examples, but they're so headstrong, they think they know what's best for everybody, for everybody's children. They won’t listen; while folks are going to do what they want to do anyway." (1)

"They wear blinders and earplugs" (2)


These are just three quotes Delpit provides that brings me back to the idea of "white privilege" that the McIntosh reading talks about. To me, these quotes are just questioning why white privilege exists. These quotes are concerning to me because it sort of makes me wonder why people can't open their eyes to what they are doing. Education in schools should not be any different depending on a person’s skin color. Also, what is taught to students is also questioned. Again relating back to the McIntosh article about how we are taught American history and how the country was made by white people. Education should be about all races. Delpit's article states how white teachers do not accept or are not open to the ideas of a colored teacher. What's the difference? I just don't understand the way some people think. Anyways, I'm not sure if anything I wrote really relates to this article, but it has been a long night, and that's what I got out of it.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Danielle! I totally agree with your post! I like where you said "I just don't understand the way some people thing." I agree. Why can't we all just think the same way. It shouldn't matter if you are of color or not. This article made me reflect on my high school days a little. But I have only ever been taught by white teachers. I do wonder what is is like if my history teacher was of color. This article was a hard read! Im sure we will be talking a lot about it in class!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Danielle. I like how you really focused on the "White Privilege" aspect of this read. Gianna said it very well in her comment "It shouldn't matter if you are color or not." Being of color or not doesn't change ones ability to learn or to teach. We are all people! Great post and I can't read your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Danielle! I wouldn't worry about having a hard time grasping the text from what I read on other peoples blogs and my own experience with the text it was really challenging!! I liked the quotes you picked out and how you related it back to "White Privilege's" like I did! A lot of what is talked about in the articles we read have similarities. Great job this week :)

    ReplyDelete